This is the route we took from St Gely to Avignon on Oct 26.
- Mostly very quiet roads; if I did it again, I’d avoid most of D980 by crossing the river after Rocquemaure on D780 and take the D228 into Avignon. We took this road on the way to Chateauneuf-du-Pape and it’s quiet and scenic.
- This shows the route above in the Avignon St. Gély direction
- I would also find a more direct route from Laudun to Saint-Genies saving a few kms and avoiding a longish hill but staying on smaller roads.
- You need to take care through Bagnols-sur-Crèze as it is a bit confusing
- We spent the night in Chateauneuf-du-Pape on the way to St Gély and it’s well worth the visit. This was our approximate route (although we did go on some smaller roads after leaving D228 using a brochure form the tourist office which I can’t find online). This route would be nicer but I am not sure if you can cross the dam on the Rhone.